Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Top 5 Ways to Save on Wedding Costs

Believe me, if anyone understands the initial wedding planning sticker shock - I do. I've now been happily married for four months, and my recent wedding is still fresh in my memory. When I first started planning for the big day, my head was abuzz with ideas, pictures and trends. In fact, the day after I got engaged - I started a new job - as Editorial Director for a new wedding planning website and magazine, Elegala.com. (I know, huge coincidence). Crazy how within one day - my normal "wedding free" life transformed into an almost unrecognizable existence completely monopolized by the concept of weddings. But I digress...

When I realized how much the wedding of my dreams would cost, my heart sunk. I envisioned an unremarkable reception lacking all the creative touches I had wanted. I did have one advantage, however. Now that my profession consisted primarily of researching and advising brides-to-be on planning their weddings, I could apply my knowledge gained towards my own wedding. Hmm - was I really getting paid to essentially plan my own wedding? Nice how that worked out.. Anyway, through my research, I found some creative ways to craft a stylish wedding on a reasonable budget - without cutting corners. Let's face it - no bride wants a bland cookie cutter wedding, some just erroniously believe that their budget contraints won't allow for anything better. So if you're set on serving filet mignon and champagne, envisioning an extravagant 7 tiered wedding confection and dreaming of a classy aperitif station - guess what? You can still have it! There are some easy, steadfast ways to create the wedding of your dreams without breaking your wedding budget. You can still wow your guests. Here's how…

1) Cut the list, cut the list, cut the list!
The easiest and most efficient way to slice your costs in half is to shrink your guest list. Food and beverage costs are charged per person, and whether you choose to serve filet and caviar or vegetable pasta and chicken wings, the cost is going to multiply by the number you are feeding. Also consider things such as table linens and centerpieces, chair set up fees, cake cutting fees etc. The cost of these services is based on the number of guests at your wedding. Fewer guests mean less spent on these wedding standards and more money available for those luxurious extras your guests will remember, the decadent chocolate fountain, the Rolls Royce getaway car, the sassy martini station.

2) Not ALL your best friends
In going with the "less is more" theme, reducing the number of attendants in your wedding party will also save money. With fewer bouquets, boutonnières, gifts, and people at your rehearsal dinner, you will save all kinds of money. Take your savings and splurge on hair and makeup for you and your maids.

3) Lose the formality
Stuffy weddings are over anyway. A truly awe-inspiring wedding does not have to be black tie. A simple yet elegant beach wedding can be equally chic, and it lends itself to steel drums instead of a 10 piece orchestra, a casual buffet or barbeque instead of a 5 course meal, and simpler wedding attire - all of which can save some serious cash in your wedding budget.

4) Do it yourself
If you have the time and the skill, why not take advantage? Lose the wedding coordinator, calligrapher, hair and makeup artists, made-to-order favors and welcome baskets, and create your own! (What better way to put your personal stamp on the big day than to leave guests with a memento you made yourself?). You can save a lot of money on these services and use it towards something else. A designer gown perhaps??

5) Be an Off-Peak Bride
Avoid Saturday nights in June. It's cliché anyway. Why not do something different? A wedding does not necessarily have to take place on a Saturday night in the spring or summer, and if you're willing to be flexible with your date and time, you can drastically cut your wedding budget. Weddings in January can be equally romantic and beautiful, and afternoons, Friday or Sunday weddings just as fun. More than likely, you and many of your guests will have to take some time off of work to attend your wedding anyway; with the money that you will save by having it at on a Friday or Sunday, you can throw an exquisite extravaganza that will make it worth their while.

Looking for more advice on setting and sticking to your budget? Consult the complete wedding budget guide at Elegala.com - Elegant Galas Made Simple

No comments: