Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Setting the Date - Must We Plan Our Wedding Date Around My Sister's Wedding?

Q: My sister got engaged a few months before me and set her wedding date for a year and half from now. I would really prefer to keep our engagement shorter, but she says I have to wait and name a date after hers since she got engaged first. She's afraid no one will want to travel to her wedding if I have mine first. Do I have to wait?
-Rebecca-

A: Technically, you are under no obligation to wait until after your sister has had her wedding. However, a big part of wedding etiquette is being gracious to all involved, no matter how petty or selfish they may be acting. If having an earlier wedding is going to cause a family feud, you may want to hold off. If you really don't want to wait, consider a very short engagement and have your wedding several months before hers. With enough time in between the two events, family and friends will be happy to attend both your wedding and your sister's wedding.
-Cori Russell - Style and Etiquette Editor

Answer more of your Wedding Etiquette questions at Elegala.com - Elegant Galas Made Simple

No comments: