Monday, June 16, 2008

Is a Casual Wedding Dress Appropriate for an Evening Wedding?

Q: I'm planning an evening outdoor wedding, and I would like to maintain a relaxed and festive atmosphere (no stuffy arrangments and soft mood music!). I would prefer to wear a casual wedding dress (I think a simple white cotton dress from a store like J Crew would be perfect), however I have read that etiquette dictates formal attire for evening weddings. Can I wear a casual wedding dress or should I adhere to traditional wedding attire etiquette?

A: When it comes to wedding attire guidelines, the "rules" are just that - guidelines. The only "rule" you should follow is to wear something in which you feel comfortable and that complements the overall style and tone of your event. In fact, for a relaxed outdoor wedding - even one that takes place after dark - donning an elaborate ball gown just doesn't make sense. So by all means - wear a casual wedding dress, and feel comfortable on your wedding day!

-Cori Russell - style and etiquette editor

You can find even more advice on planning an outdoor wedding and wearing a casual wedding dress at Elegala.com -Elegant Galas Made Simple

No comments: